Habits of a healthy mind form the backbone of every other health decision we make to create Optimal Wellbeing in our lives. They incorporate the full picture of how we think and make choices, whether they are healthy or unhealthy. If we understand how we approach our choices, we are more likely to make healthier decisions instead of slipping back into unhealthy habits during tough times.
In order to reprogram our habits, we first have to awaken ourselves to see opportunities for better choices in our daily lives. Here are some quick tips on how to become more mindful:
- Plan ahead.Prep healthy meals in advance or have a Fueling to account for what you are going to eat before you become too hungry.
- Keep a journal.Reflect on your day and identify the healthy choices you could have made to help make you more mindful when these scenarios happen again. It may seem like you’re acting too late, but you’re actually preparing for the future.
- Work with a Coach. Talking with someone regularly that supports and guides you through your health journey can help you see more opportunities for transforming your health.
Becoming aware of these habit patterns is the first step. Recognizing how our own habits are structured is the next step toward transforming those unhealthy habits to into habits of better health. This practice is easier if you Stop, Challenge, and Choose:
- Recognize that you are triggering an unhealthy habit. Pausing and taking a breath helps to regain control.
- Remind yourself of your goals and the choices you should be making to reach these goals.
- Make the healthy choice that gives you a similar reward but is much better for your long term health.
Equipped with healthy mind habits, we can systematically work through every other habit area to achieve Optimal Health and Wellbeing.