Inflammation causes dozens of health-related problems ranging from the frustrating things of unhealthy skin to serious chronic diseases such as diabetes, cancer and heart disease. In fact, research shows almost every serious disease is either directly or indirectly caused by inflammation in the body.
Here is the good news, as I have learned over the years, we can take preventative measures to eliminate or decrease inflammation simply by changing our diets. Start by including more anti-inflammatory foods. There are so many to choose from that can add a healthy variety to your daily nutrition.
Here are my TOP 11 suggestions:
- CELERY – Celery contains high concentrations of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory content that helps manage cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
- BEETS – Although I am not a lover of beets, beets contain high levels of potassium and magnesium, essential minerals that help reduce inflammation.
- GREEN LEAFY VEGETABLES – Leafy vegetables are my absolute favorite. They contain high concentrations of a variety of nutrients including vitamin K, a vitamin strongly associated with reduced inflammation. Go for spinach, chard or arugula instead of your normal lettuce for an incredible health boost – most of these greener vegetables contain at least twice the nutritional content of lettuce.
- BROCCOLI – This is one of my favorite fibrous vegetables. Broccoli has a high concentration of both anti-inflammatory ingredients and antioxidants.
- BLUEBERRIES – Absolutely love blueberries. Blueberries are a great choice when it comes to fruit. They are low on the glycemic index and contain a powerful combination of essential antioxidant’s, anti inflammatories and other vitamins.
- PINEAPPLES – Pineapples contain quercetin and bromelain, a combination that is often used to reduce inflammation and related problems. Quercetin has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects that might help reduce swelling, kill cancer cells, control blood sugar, and help prevent heart disease. Bromelain is promoted as a dietary supplement for reducing pain and swelling. It is also promoted for osteoarthritis, cancer, digestive problems, and muscle soreness.
- SALMON – It contains vitamins D, B6 and B12 which are essential to maintaining a good mood plus the benefit of Omega 3 fatty acids which reduces inflammation.
- WALNUTS – Walnuts are some of the healthiest nuts you can eat. Walnuts contain high concentrations of several antioxidants and Omega 3 fatty acids. Walnuts are extremely healthy but we also have to mindful of the amount we eat because any fat whether healthy or unhealthy is calorically dense. The average serving is 7 halves.
- CHIA SEEDS – Chia contains large amounts of Omega 3 fatty acids and Omega 6 fatty acids, which also have anti-inflammatory properties. Again being mindful of serving size.
- TURMERIC – Turmeric is often recommended as a supplement to prevent the occurrence of worsening of arthritis because of its intense anti-inflammatory properties.
- GINGER – Ginger is a great accent for your food and it also happens to be one of the best anti-inflammatories overall.