1½ lbs. 93% lean ground turkey ~Yields 20 oz cooked (4 leans)
2 tbsp low-fat grated Parmesan cheese (2 condiments)
1 tsp salt (2 condiments)
½ tsp black pepper (1 condiment)
4 cups chicken stock (4 condiments)
2 tbsp non-perell capers (1 condiment)
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil (2 condiments)
3 3/4 cups (14.93 oz) Zucchini and/or yellow summer squash “noodles” (7 1/2 greens)
2 cups (10.52 oz) halved cherry tomatoes (4 greens)
1/4 cup (.88 oz) scallions, trimmed and minced (1/2 green)
- Combine the ground turkey with the cheese, scallions, salt and pepper; mix well and shape into 12, small (2 ounce) meatballs.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a medium to large pot, add the capers and turkey meatballs, and simmer gently for about 12 -14 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the chicken stock and plate into four individual soup bowls; keep warm.
- Bring the chicken stock back to a boil and add the squash noodles; simmer for about 2 minutes. Using tongs, arrange a quarter of the squash noodles on top of the turkey meatballs in each bowl.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the broth and simmer for one minute. Stir in the basil leaves.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the cherry tomatoes from the pot and arrange an equal amount over the meatballs in each bowl. Pour the remaining broth over top. Serve hot.
Tip: You can make squash “noodles” with a spiralizer, vegetable peeler, or by thinly slicing the squash into noodle-shape pieces with a knife. Alternatively, look for pre-cut squash noodles in the fresh and frozen departments at your local grocery store
For my clients: 4 servings, each of which is a complete Lean & Green meal:
- 1 Lean
- 3 Green
- 3 Condiments